One was doing an ink wash on the bgs then coloring them in PS. Also giving the characters a cel-shaded look. It’s probably more of a cel shade/painterly hybrid.
Unfortunately, since I did the ink wash, I tried spritzing the entire page with water, to flatten out the page. It seemed to work, after I put it in between two sheets of glass. The only thing is that it didn’t allow the paper to dry out. It was flat, but still damp.
I left it in the glass for a couple of days, and took it out. It ended up having mildew and a reddish mildew. Eww. So the original is pretty much shot. At least I had scanned it and I chalk it up to being an experiment piece.